In the days following Thanksgiving what’s needed is a bit of redemption from overeating and ideas for what to do with leftover turkey. Here you have both. And most of the ingredients might be on hand in the pantry and refrigerator – leftover remnants from doing the Thanksgiving cooking.
Crisp greens, gorgonzola cheese and a simple apple cider vinaigrette easily transform leftover cooked turkey breast, celery, apples and pecans into something satisfying. Take the time to cut the various ingredients into what’s called “julienne” – basically a matchstick style cut (traditionally it’s 1/4 inch on all sides and 2-inches long but I opt for bigger all the way around because it’s quicker). Or not. And instead chop them however random you like – which might be most appealing given the vast amount of time spent prepping and cooking on Thanksgiving.
- 8 cups thinly sliced Romaine lettuce (or other favorite lettuce)
- 2 to 3 cups julienne cooked turkey breast (see note for how to julienne cut)
- 2 cups julienne apple
- 1 cup julienne celery
- 1 cup roasted pecan halves (see note for roasting)
- 1 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (4 ounces) or blue cheese
- ½ cup golden raisins, dark raisins or currants
- Apple Cider Vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ cup olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Toss all salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Whisk together or shake all vinaigrette ingredients in a jar with a lid, all ingredients except salt and pepper. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Turkey: cut turkey breast into approximately ¼ inch slices. Cut slices into 2 inch lengths then cut into ¼ inch width.
Apple: with apple standing stem side up and starting at the outside edge, make approximately ¼ inch slices all the way through apple from top to bottom slicing until the core is reached. Cut each slice into ¼ inch matchstick shaped pieces. Repeat with all sides of apple.
Celery: cut celery stalks into approximately 2-inch lengths. Cut each piece into ¼ inch matchstick shaped pieces.
To roast pecans:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spread pecans on a baking sheet. Roast just until browned, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow cooling.