I tend to forget about using pork tenderloin when making skewers and almost always default to chicken breast. Pork tenderloin is so perfect as the tender meat easily soaks up the marinade ingredients and then it cooks quickly on the grill. Truly, I almost feel like I am cheating when I make this recipe because it is both so easy and good.
A little caution when making the sauce. Keep the heat low so the peanut butter and coconut milk do not separate, leaving an oily slick on the top. If this does happen, remove the sauce from the heat and whisk in a little more coconut milk or even milk (if you used up all the coconut milk). This will bring any separating right back together.
Another faster option is to marinate the pork tenderloin whole. Then once grilled, cut into thin slices and spoon the peanut sauce on top. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs work just as well.
For side dishes, I like cooked brown basmati rice and steamed fresh spinach.
- ½ cup soy sauce or reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Ten 8-inch wooden skewers, soaked in warm water 30 minutes
- Peanut Sauce:
- 1 cup coconut milk or light coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ⅔ cup peanut butter
- 2-3 teaspoons red curry paste*
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- For the marinade, in a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, vegetable oil, garlic and cumin. Marinate pork refrigerated for at least 2 hours or overnight, turning once during marinating.
- For the sauce, in a small saucepan over low heat, heat coconut milk and garlic just to a simmer; whisk in peanut butter, curry paste and fish sauce until smooth; cook over low heat 2-3 minutes to blend flavors.
- Preheat a grill to medium high or preheat an oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove pork from marinade, discarding marinade. Poke four pork chunks on each skewer. Grill or bake until cooked through.
- Serve skewers with peanut sauce.