This is simple home cooking at its best. All of the ingredients you can easily keep on hand so you put this together at the last minute for an quick weekday dinner.
Typically this recipe is made with thinly sliced fried potatoes, cooked as layers in the eggs. But to save preparation time, my recipe used shredded potatoes. Classic Spanish Tortilla does not have sausage in it, but I like the flavor it adds. You can leave it out if you want a meatless recipe. The only challenge in making the tortilla will be turning it over onto a plate and sliding it back into the pan to cook the other side. But I am confident you can do it.
- • 8 eggs
- • 1 teaspoon kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- • 3 tablespoons olive oil
- • 5 cups shredded, peeled russet potatoes (20 ounce package)
- • 1 cup chopped onion
- • 8 ounces cooked chorizo sausage, crumbled or sliced
- • 1 tablespoon olive oil
- • 1 cup sour cream
- • 1 cup salsa
- • Chopped fresh cilantro
- In a 9-10 inch sauté pan (sloped sides), heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat; add onion and cook and stir until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil then potatoes and stir to evenly mix with the onions, lightly patting down to spread to all edges of the pan. Cook without turning, until browned about 5 minutes. Turn potatoes and cook until browned on other side, about 5 minutes; remove from heat and add to eggs, along with the chorizo.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to the same pan and heat over medium heat; pour in egg and potato mixture; cook until eggs are almost set, lifting up edges of egg potato mixture and allowing egg to run underneath while cooking until the egg mixture is set on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Put a round plate over the pan and carefully holding them together, turn the tortilla onto the plate and then slide it with the uncooked side down back into the pan and cook until the egg mixture is set, about 5 minutes.
- To serve, lift edges and slide tortilla out of the pan and on to a round serving platter. Cut into wedges and serve with sour cream, salsa and cilantro.