Something a little lighter, yet still in the category of wintery warm and hearty… Start to finish this can be on the table and ready to eat in 30 minutes. Happy New Year!
Rosemary Chicken Wilted Spinach Salad
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 1-1/2 pounds
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons port wine or red wine
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 pound baby spinach
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook bacon in a skillet until crisp; remove and drain on paper towels; drain off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the pan.
- Pound chicken breasts to about ½ inch thickness. Season both sides with salt and pepper then sprinkle with rosemary, patting lightly to adhere. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the bacon fat in the pan; heat over medium heat; cook chicken breasts allowing to brown on one side before turning, about 5 minutes. Turn breasts and repeat process, cooking until chicken is just cooked through. Remove chicken from the pan, cover lightly with foil and allow sitting 5-1o minutes. Thinly slice chicken.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, port wine and red wine vinegar; add spinach and toss and cook just until and slightly wilted, about 1-2 minutes. Arrange spinach on plates and top with sliced chicken. Sprinkle with cooked bacon and grated Parmesan cheese.