These easy skewers feature the savory flavor combination of lemon, oregano and garlic that is so prevalent in Greek cooking. I love them for summer dinners as you can marinate the chicken the night before and throw them on the grill just before you want to eat dinner.
The classic Tzatziki sauce with creamy Greek-style yogurt and the cool flavors of mint and cucumber compliments the lemony oregano flavor of the chicken perfectly.
For a summer cocktail party, double the recipe, thread the chicken on smaller skewers and serve them as an appetizer.
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano (1-1/2 teaspoons dried can be substituted)
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast or thigh, cut into 1-1/2 inch chunks
- Kosher salt
- Tzatziki sauce:
- 2 cups plain Greek-style yogurt
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and chopped cucumber
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, mint or cilantro or a combination of all three
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Kosher salt
- Cayenne pepper
- Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, lemon zest, oregano and pepper; pour over chicken, cover and marinate in the refrigerator 2-4 hours or overnight, turning once during marinating.
- For the Tzatziki sauce, stir together yogurt, cucumber, honey, parsley and lemon zest; season with salt and cayenne pepper; refrigerate until using.
- Soak 8 wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Remove chicken from the marinade; skewer on 8 soaked skewers. Grill until chicken is cooked through, turning once during grilling, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with Tzatziki sauce.