I guarantee you will find as many recipe versions for Fettucine Carbonara as the number of people you ask. My version is as streamlined as possible. The key is to use the highest quality cream, Parmesan cheese and bacon.
Each ingredient plays a part in the finished flavor of this dish. The cream, egg and Parmesan contribute richness, the red pepper flakes and fresh ground black pepper a bit of spiciness and the bits of minced fresh Italian parsley refreshing flavor.
Start to finish you should have this on the table in less than 45 minutes.
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 12 ounces fettucine noodles
- ⅔ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook bacon until crisp over medium heat in a skillet; remove and drain on paper towel.
- Bring cream to a simmer in a saute pan or skillet; remove from heat and whisk in the egg and garlic.
- Cook fettucine in salted, boiling water according to package directions for doneness; drain. Immediately add fettucine to cream, egg and garlic and toss until evenly coated; cook over low heat for 1 minute then remove pan from heat.
- Add Parmesan, butter, parsley, red pepper flakes and bacon to pasta; toss to evenly coat. Season with salt and pepper and toss again.
- Serve with additional grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.