I’m ushering in the spring equinox with one of my favorite salads and keeping my fingers crossed that the warmer weather will be finally coming our way.
Cheers to the beginning of spring.
Curry Chicken Salad with Coconut
- 4 cups cooked shredded or chopped chicken (1 pound)*
- ⅔ cup sweetened or unsweetened shredded coconut
- ⅔ cup chopped or sliced celery
- ⅔ cup julienne (matchstick size) apples
- ⅔ cups halved green or red grapes
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- ½- ⅔ cup mayonnaise (plain yogurt can be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Lettuce leaves or shredded lettuce
- In a large bowl, stir together chicken, coconut, celery, apples, grapes and green onions.
- In a separate container, whisk together mayonnaise, curry powder, honey and lemon juice; stir into the chicken until all ingredients are evenly combined. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate 30 minutes to blend flavors.
- Serve chicken salad on lettuce leaves or shredded lettuce.
- *I prefer to use bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts (you can also use a whole chicken) for the cooked chicken. The skin and bone give important flavor to the chicken. The easiest way to do this is by poaching the breasts (or the whole chicken).
- To do this begin with a medium size pot of water (enough water so the chicken is covered) to which I add 1 bay leaf, a sprinkling of black peppercorns, 1 teaspoon of curry powder and a pinch of kosher salt.
- Bring the water to a boil and add the chicken, making sure it is covered by water; reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the chicken is cooked, about 25-30 minutes (a whole chicken will take longer, approximately 45 minutes of cooking time). The easiest way to determine if they are cooked is to use a tong and lift the breast out of the water and insert an instant reading food thermometer in the thickest part. It should read 165 degrees F.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken from the water and allow cooling at room temperature for about 15 minutes. Transfer chicken to the refrigerator until completely cooled.