Four of the loveliest words to hear when you’re trying to get dinner on the table in a hurry are “thirty minutes or less.” Crispy Cod with Basil Cream Dipping Sauce delivers that promise. This is one of my dependable recipes when I want something fresh and fast for dinner.
What’s not to love about a dip made with fresh, fragrant basil, refreshing lemon zest and a smidge of garlic. The dip recipe is courtesy of Darigold FRESH magazine and has become one of my favorites.
The combination of cornmeal and flour contribute to the crispy exterior of the fried fish. Be sure the oil is heated enough to allow the fish to sizzle when it first hits the pan. If you want a spicier flavor you can sprinkle the fillets with cayenne pepper.
- Basil Cream Dipping Sauce (recipe courtesy of Darigold FRESH magazine):
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup flour
- ⅓ cup cornmeal
- 4 fresh True or Ling cod fillets, about 6 ounces each
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- For the Basil Cream Dipping Sauce, stir together sour cream, basil, lemon zest and garlic; season with salt and pepper; refrigerate until using.
- Stir together cornmeal and flour. Season cod fillets with salt and pepper; dredge in flour and cornmeal mixture, coating both sides.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add cod and cook until halfway done, about 4-5 minutes, then turn and cook just until cooked through (flesh is no longer translucent) about 4-5 minutes longer depending on the thickness of the cod (a good estimate of cooking time for seafood is 10 minutes per inch of thickness when measured at its thickest part when cooked over medium high heat).
- Serve with Basil Cream Dipping Sauce.