Winter salad ingredients can be every bit as inspiring as those in summer. Thinly sliced Brussels sprouts, baby kale leaves, juicy mandarin orange sections, creamy avocado chunks and pomegranate seeds all tossed together with a lime honey vinaigrette are proof of that. The addition of coarsely chopped roasted almonds and shredded cooked chicken make this salad a meal in one.
The lime honey vinaigrette is perhaps the highlight of this salad, lightly bathing the kale and Brussels sprouts with a smooth tangy sweet flavor. I like to double the recipe and keep the extra in the refrigerator to use at a moment’s notice to toss with salad greens the rest of the week.
- 5 ounces (about 10 cups) cleaned baby kale (arugula can be substituted)
- 8 ounces Brussels sprouts (3 cups), ends trimmed and thinly sliced
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds (about ½ medium pomegranate)
- 2 medium size avocados, skin and pit removed and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken
- 2 Mandarin oranges, peeled and sectioned
- ⅔ cup roasted and coarsely chopped unsalted almonds (see note for roasting instructions if needed)
- Honey Lime Vinaigrette (see note)
- Toss together all ingredients, except honey lime vinaigrette, in a large bowl. Drizzle as much vinaigrette as desired over ingredients and toss to evenly coat.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spread almonds in single layer on a baking sheet; bake just until skins are slightly darkened, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cooling to room temperature.
Lime Homey Vinaigrette:
2 teaspoons lime zest
¼ cup limejuice (about 2 limes)
2 tablespoons honey or agave
1 teaspoon minced garlic
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/3 cup olive oil or vegetable or a combination
Fresh ground black pepper
Whisk together all ingredients, except olive oil until smooth; whisk in olive oil then season with salt and pepper. Makes ⅔ cup.