There are very few of us who would turn down the chance to have breakfast for dinner, especially the cook because preparation is easy and expectations are low. No one is expecting traditional dinner food.
Don’t balk at the fact that all the ingredients are mixed together in one dish in this recipe. That’s what makes it so unique – all the things you like separately are mixed together. The result is surprisingly delicious.
Add a few slices of toasted pugliese or Como bread and you have a meal.
This is an excellent dish to serve for brunch, as well.
- 6 eggs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups shredded peeled russet potatoes (1 20 ounce package can be used)
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 pound sausage (I prefer mild Italian chicken sausage)
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- Whisk eggs until smooth; set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and butter over medium heat; add potatoes and stir to coat evenly and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook without turning until nicely browned, about 4-5 minutes; turn and repeat process; remove from skillet and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining 1tablespoon oil over medium heat, add sausage breaking into small pieces while cooking. Cook and stir until lightly browned, about 5 minutes (do not overcook as sausage will continue to cook as you add other ingredients). Add onion and bell pepper and cook and stir until softened, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and cook and stir until just cooked, about 3 minutes, adding Cheddar cheese in the final minute of cooking.
- Add cooked potatoes back to the skillet and gently stir until evenly mixed. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with green onions and serve from the skillet.