A good salmon recipe should highlight and not overpower the naturally rich flavor and texture of this well loved fish.
Whisking together soy sauce, hoisin sauce, honey and a bit of garlic and ginger doubles as a sauce to brush on and briefly marinate the salmon and then as a glaze thickened with a bit of cornstarch at the end of grilling.
A quick sauté of crispy bok choy stems and tender leaves seasoned with a drizzle of sesame oil is light and healthy served on the side or as a bed to the grilled salmon.
For those of you who eat salmon more than once a week for its healthful benefits and who are looking for quick and interesting ways to prepare it, this recipe should be especially satisfying.
- Asian glaze:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 salmon fillets, 6 to 8 ounces each
- Sauteed bok choy:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped gingerroot
- 1 large bunch bok choy
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- For the Asian glaze, whisk together soy sauce, Hoisin sauce, honey, sesame oil, garlic and ginger; set aside ¼ cup in a microwave safe dish. Whisk in cornstarch and microwave until bubbling, about 30 seconds; whisk again and set aside.
- Brush remaining Asian glaze on the salmon fillets; set aside.
- For the sauteed bok choy, separate bok choy stalks. Trim ends and discard. Thinly slice white stalks up to the leafy area and set aside (there should be 5-6 cups). Thinly slice leaves and set aside (there should be about 1-1/2 cups).
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Grill salmon, flesh side down about 5 minutes. Turn salmon; brush with cornstarch thickened glaze and grill just until cooked ( allow about 10 minutes total cooking time for 1 inch thickness of salmon).
- While salmon is cooking, heat olive oil, garlic and ginger in a skillet over medium heat just until garlic and ginger start to sizzle, add bok choy stalks and cook and stir 1-2 minutes then add bok choy leaves and cook and stir 1 minute. Pour water over bok choy; cover and steam about 1 minute. Sprinkle with sesame oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve grilled salmon either on the side or on top of the bok choy.